Sunday, April 17, 2011

Breaking the Rules



I often get to shoot AMAZING expensive homes for magazines like Homes and Living Victoria or Western Living. When I arrive at these shots, I have already looked at Google Earth to see what I am facing. I know the time of day I want to shoot each room and I basically plan every angle to make the most of my light hours.
Today, on a visit to Chapalla Mexico to visit my parents, I came across a wonderfully inviting little coffee shop. It was mid-day, there were harsh shadows, and because of this I wasn't even going to shoot the little place. ....Having my camera on me, I figure, what the heck, my eye is likes it.
This little venture reminded me about how, as I became a better photographer and started to forget about the "rules" - responding to what my eye saw, my photos had a much better "feel." For me, this picture shows a wonderfully inviting little place, even though there are wires hanging out, pipes all over the place, broken concrete and harsh shadows. There is also a wonderful pride shown in the plants and signs of what would be an otherwise dilapidated building.
When I look at this place, whether in Colour or BW - I see love. As a view, I can feel things, and those feelings can be at any time of day and break all the rules of staging, lighting and control.

No comments: